Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Internships/Externships Helping Job Seekers

One way to feel better about accounting for your time is to consider an adult internship, also called an externship. These are unpaid part-time positions to get a foot in the door in the business or industry of your choice. You can gain a new skill or enhance existing ones. This is also a chance to close a gap in unemployment by providing valuable experience for your resume. In addition to seeing firsthand the highs and lows of a particular line of work, you may build contacts and develop relationships that will prove valuable when you ultimately seek a paid positionby providing valuable experience for your resume. In addition to seeing firsthand the highs and lows of a particular line of work, you may build contacts and develop relationships that will prove valuable when you ultimately seek a paid position.

Source: abcnews.go.com

Above is a piece of an article on Good Morning America that I saw, there was also a video attached with the article. Watching the video kinda reassured me that I'm taking the proper steps to help me get started on my career path. I'm going to school right now for Business Mgmt. with a concentration in HR. My goal is to at least obtain an entry level position at a prestigious company and work my way up to the top to become a Human Resource Manager. I have a little less than a year left before I obtain my B.S.B.A in Bus. Mgmt and my HR Certificate. Being that I have no job experience in HR, it is really hard to receive an opportunity to prove myself to any company's HR department. They want experience, even for the entry level positions. I know if I don't obtain some type of experience before I start seeking an HR job after I graduate, it would be dang near impossible to get one. I know that if I apply for a job with the minimum requirement having a Bachelor's Degree, then the only thing the degree will do is help me get an interview. After the interview I don't stand a chance against my competitors who have Bachelor's degrees and plenty of HR experience. So I made the decision to apply for an HR internship position and fortunately I was granted it. Now that I'm about 3 weeks away from the completion of my internship, I really do see how much it has benefited my career. I have gained so much skills and knowledge in this field. The hands on experience is wonderful. Also, I recieved an opportunity to prove how much of a great worker I am, which gives me a leg up when it comes to available positions being posted to the public. As posted in the article above, this is going to look great on my resume. I am very happy that I decided to take this route and I honestly believe it will help me in my search for a job in HR.

No comments:

Post a Comment